- To create and maintain an environment that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area
- To promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment
- To provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world
"Experientia Docet" ("Experience Teaches")
SFSU is part of the largest system of higher education in the country granting bachelor's and master's degrees, the California State University (CSU). The 23 campuses served 388,734 students in fall 2001.
The Gator (alligator)
Selected by students in 1931, it was originally spelled with an "er" -- Golden Gaters -- a play on words to emphasize SF State's location.
SF State is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Purple and Gold
Men's baseball, basketball, cross country, soccer, swimming, outdoor track & field, wrestling
Women's basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track & field (indoor & outdoor), volleyball
94 acres, located in the southwest corner of San Francisco, at 1600 Holloway Avenue (corner of 19th Avenue).
Two 16-week semesters, late August through December; late January through May; and a summer semester: June through August.
SFSU awards bachelor's degrees in 116 areas of specialization and master's in 95. It offers a Ph.D. and Ed.D. in education with a concentration in special education, jointly with UC Berkeley. In addition, SFSU offers an M.S. in physical therapy with UC San Francisco. It also offers 27 credential programs and 34 certificate programs.
For freshmen and sophomores, SFSU has two traditional residence halls, Mary Park and Mary Ward halls. Apartment living for upper-division and graduate students is available at The Village at Centennial Square.
- Downtown Center (College of Extended Learning) 425 Market St.
- Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies, Marin County on the San Francisco Bay
- SFSU Oakland Multimedia Center (College of Extended Learning) 2201 Broadway
- Sierra Nevada Field Campus, Sierra foothills
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories (with six other CSUs), Monterey Bay